With a title like that, one would think I was a really bad Lutheran. Ha. :)
The IICS Series world has been turned on its ear since I last blogged. Here's a recap:
1. Tony George stepped down from his remaining official positions. Like him or hate him, this was and will be a big deal. He was a force in the American Open Wheel Racing and had a tremendous impact on it. I don't care where that infamous event from 14 years past hit you... that's a moot point now. He served as a figure-head and has become the scape-goat for the division that deprived young fans like me of growing up with a strong open-wheel racing series of which I could be proud. No, this is not a stab at TG. Rather, think of it as a blunt delivery of uncomfortable facts.
2. Vision Racing suspends operations due to lack of sponsorship. I'll probably catch hell for this, but I wasn't ever a fan of Vision Racing. That being said, I'm saddened that the team and its employees are in this position. You know all those posts and tweets about the letter-writing campaign? Go do it.
3. The IICS has a new CEO. You know, arguing about whether or not he's qualified is rather senseless at this point: he hasn't had time to get anything going yet. Let's do ourselves a favor and pass judgment after he has time to set things in motion. His resume looks good. Besides, the IICS is looking for the casual fan; it seems to me that a CEO that is currently in that category would best understand that fan's mindset.
4. Silly season keeps getting sillier and sillier. Justin Wilson to D&R Racing, Coyne to field two cars, NHL possibly down to one car (with Hideki driving)? What is the world coming to? We don't have long to wait for answers; they'll come with the the season opener. With all these announcements, I have my concerns especially given the fact that I'm a Rahal fan. Let's hang tight, though, until we have our answers.
5. The Dallara concepts are posted. Let the debate ensue. I advocate waiting until we see all options before forming an opinion. Why? I'm not an engineer-y type and as such, I don't know what is best. I'll be cheering anyway.
As I look at this list, there are some big happenings. We've had quite a bit of drama over the course of the offseason. Honestly, I can't wait for the real buzz to begin. All the change has given birth to a heightened sense of anticipation in me. Let's get this party started!
No comments:
Post a Comment