2 Column CSS Layout - concise design
header
right
left

Monday, March 29, 2010

Common Sense

While perusing the IndyCar Nation fan forums, I came across one of the dime a dozen posts that the point is something like this, "The IRL is dying and not listening to fans.  Ovals are what we need.  This is an all oval series" and continues on, usually spiraling downward into the depths of incoherence.  The one I read tonight was so different.  And finally, something in me snapped- and I replied.  As I typed, I realized I had to be careful because a forum is not the place for a rant, a blog is!

My answer to the complainers and their rants (that I would never direct at anyone specifically because it's too rude):
1.  SHUT UP!  After several topics of similar content every two months or so, nobody pays attention anymore.  Deal with it.  Also, people are less likely to agree with you.
2.  Know your facts.  If you're set on posting, express your ideas and facts with proper grammar.  Misusing words while putting emphasis on them by typing in caps hurts your credibility.  There's an edit button for a reason.  By demonstrating your knowledge, people have a reason to seriously consider your position.
3.  COMPLAINING ABOUT THE PAST DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM!  Direct quote of what I said on the forum:
Let it go. Focus on the future, but respect the past. Fans that can't let their fascination with the past go hinder the growth of the future. Focusing on making this series something unique that drivers from all over the world should be the goal. Please, let the younger and new fans enjoy the direction this series is going without tainting it with bitterness... it's getting tiresome.
Ever heard of common sense?  Remember what worked and use it.  Seriously, people.

2 comments:

  1. Catie:

    Good post and you're right about quit complaining about the past. IndyCar has such a rich history but such a convoluted recent past that it's hard to believe they're the same sport. But they are. Fortunately, there seems to be a lot of positive momentum with IZOD on board. If they could ever keep Roy Hobbson sober for 48 hours straight, then that will be a sure sign of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, for the comment! I agree that the overall vibe is much more positive, but there's a small group of loud people who seem to disagree.

    ReplyDelete